
I could barely stand it - my morning trying to work before telling John. Luckily, he was in exams so he had a half day at school and was coming home midday to study. As is often the custom during exam week, I suggested we meet for lunch. He called me close to lunch time and said that maybe he should just grab something fast and study. I panicked and pulled the - hey - everyone else left for lunch and I didn't bring anything routine, and he relented. He picked me up and we went for Indian, which we both love. I was pleased-it was fairly deserted inside so I knew we'd be able to talk (and he would have plenty of room to pass out if necessary).
Now let me say something important here. All these pregnancy books talk about how your husband will take the news and how to make sure he will be excited and interested and all the like.
This is NOT my husband. This is the man who, before we were married, would read Obstetrics and other medical books for fun at nighttime while I devoured my mindless chick books or the rare latest bestseller or hip book du jour. And for this, I am grateful.
So I was more worried about doing it a cool way versus his reaction. I told him I had a gift for him for exam week, and he opened the bag to find a stuffed Eeyore. The reaction was pretty much, thanks, but I don't get it. I said oh, you know, exams are hard, you may want to cuddle it when exams are bad. I added that there was something else in the bag. He pulled out the Sticks, both clearly saying means PREGNANT. And his reaction was pretty much like mine - excited and incredulous.We both had said that we would take it as it comes and let fate do the rest.
Thanks, fate.
No comments:
Post a Comment